The Support for Learning Service provides a team of specialist teachers who are available to assess and directly teach children with special educational needs. Children are identified by their school who would benefit from a specific, individualised intervention programme and a request may be made to the service for either individual teaching or small group teaching.
Schools may also make a referral for a diagnostic assessment of children who are falling behind their peers either in literacy, numeracy or they may have fine or gross motor difficulties. This assessment will investigate the basic skills required for literacy and basic knowledge of number and specific motor skills. Identification of any areas of difficulty can then be used to create individual intervention programmes and appropriate support in the classroom.
What does the service include?
- diagnostic assessment of literacy, numeracy and motor skills with a written report and recommendations for programme planning
- provision of direct teaching for individual children or small groups in a 10 week intervention programme each term
- provision of equipment (including IT equipment) for pupils with physical/motor co-ordination difficulties
- provision of a resource base and loan of resources and educational materials for schools
- provide In-Service Training for all school staff (teachers and learning support assistants) on aspects of specific learning difficulties, identification and teaching strategies
- advice and support to the school Senco, class teachers and learning support assistants
How will we ensure a quality service?
- the quality of the response is in liaison with the class teacher and is evaluated when the assessment is completed – verbal feedback and then a written report within 2 weeks of the assessment
- all staff are qualified teachers with additional training and considerable experience in teaching children with special educational needs
- a speedy response to requests for assessments
- targets set at the beginning of intervention and a final end of Intervention report identifying progress made during the intervention period and recommendations for further intervention