Would you like to make a real contribution to your local community? Are you interested in education? As a school governor you could play an important role in shaping the future of the local education service. Schools today manage large budgets sometimes running into millions of pounds. It’s a big responsibility.
Governors share that responsibility with the headteacher, and together it is their job to ensure that the school provides a good quality education.
Schools need enthusiastic and committed people, they need people who will bring with them a wide range of experience and views. Being a governor will offer you the opportunity to influence education for the children in your area.
What do governors do?
Governors work closely with the headteacher and school staff. Together they are responsible for:
- academic performance
- financial management
- recruitment of teachers and support staff
- dealing with complaints and appeals
- the ‘image’ of the school within the local community
- asking questions, gathering views and deciding what’s in the school’s best interests
Who are the governors?
All schools have a ‘governing body’. The size of the governing body will vary from one school to another but has to be at least seven. There are several different categories of governor:
- parent governors – elected by parents at the school
- staff governors – elected by teaching and non-teaching colleagues at the school
- authority governors -nominated by the local authority but appointed by the governing body
- foundation governors – usually appointed by the diocese (in church schools only)
- co-opted governors – appointed by the governing body based on their skills
Interested? Our local schools hope you are
An overview of what is involved can be found below:
- the work is voluntary, takes enthusiasm and some of your spare time
- you will learn new skills and know that you are making a real contribution to our local community
- you don’t have to know everything from the start – be prepared to build up your knowledge over a period of time
- free advice, support and training is available
Adverts by schools in Bracknell Forest looking for school governors
The following schools are currently looking for school governors:
- Cranbourne Primary co-opted governor vacancy
- Fox Hill Primary co-opted governor vacancy
- Hatch Ride Primary co-opted school governor vacancies
- Kennel lane governor vacancy advert
- The Pines co-opted governor vacancy
- Sandy Lane governor vacancy
- Whitegrove co-opted governor vacancy
- Wildridings notice of vacancy for co-opted governor
Note: Not all schools list their vacancies here. By filling in the governor registration form, the governor services team will direct your enquiry to schools known to have suitable vacancies. You can also state your preferences.